Tuesday, March 17, 2009

School Daze

Hi everyone. Once again, thank you all for the support, comments and love you have all shown me. It really means a lot. OK, enough sap. :p A few small things before i get on with the post. First, I want to encourage you to ask any questions you may have of me. My email address is listed below the 'about me' section on the right. Just sub a "@" for the"(at)" and you're golden. Second, a few people have asked about my name "Deadwing" and my display pic. The name is taken from the band Porcupine Tree and their album "Deadwing". The album strikes a chord with me, and so i "borrowed" the name. My display pic is also taken from a Porcupine Tree album. It is the cover art for their "Fear Of A Blank Planet" album. The photo is by Danish artist, filmmaker, and photographer Lasse Hoile. He's an incredibly creative guy, with some really 'out there' concepts and ideas.

On with the post...

As i mentioned in my first post, i had my first crush on a boy in first grade. His name was"James". Now, in first grade, i had no idea what those feelings were. I had no concept of homosexuality whatsoever. I just knew i felt differently towards James than i did other boys, or girls for that matter. James was in my class from Kindergarten through sixth grade, so i was around him a lot.

Into junior high, our class split up. We had different periods in the day, but James was still in my home room and in my PE (gym) class. What a shock when i found out we had to shower together after class! I was scared to death that i would become "aroused" in the shower, especially with James in there. Good God... By this time, i had pretty much figured out that i was gay, although i was till holding on to some delusion that i would eventually get married etc. But i now knew what it meant to be "gay". What a confusing mess i was in. I wasn't very popular in school, and James was. So, even though we had known each other for years in grade school and were friends, the social structure in junior high kind of drove a wedge between us. We still talked from time to time, but it wasn't like it used to be.

It was during this time that my feelings for James became more than just a simple crush. I had to be around him as much as i could. He was on my mind every waking moment. I would time my walks to class so that i would run into him in the halls. All the while, i had a million different thoughts running through my mind. "Am i the only boy who has these feelings towards other boys? What if someone finds out? What if James found out i liked him? Is there something wrong with me? There must be. What am i going to do? Who can i talk to about this? This isn't normal. I'm scared."

Being gay just wasn't something that was talked about, either at school or at home. There was no education on the subject. And in Sex Education, there was no mention of homosexuality at all. I learned of the concept of being gay from one of my peers who would make jokes about it. Nothing worse than being a "queer" or "fag". That only served to reinforce my suspicions that i was indeed alone in how i felt, and that i was in fact "sick" or otherwise abnormal. NO ONE can know about this. EVER!!! Deeper into the closet i go...

And in the closet i stayed. Eventually, during the middle of ninth grade, my mom sent me off to live with my dad. I was failing every subject, and was seriously depressed. I would talk to the school counsellor, but could never reveal what was really on my mind. So, James was gone from my daily life, but not forgotten. My new school, in a new town, in a new state was really no better. Still had to hide who i was, and still had no one to talk to about how i felt. As i went through high school, i still pretended to like girls around my friends, and found still more boys to crush on. But that's a story for another time...

11 comments:

Randy said...

I wonder if straight guys remember all the way back to their first crush...

I remember mine, 4th grade, boy named Danny, like you said i didnt know til i knew :)

Puberty was a nightmare being in the closet...talk about hormones...HS was a new standard in sexual frustration.

Cant help but feel sick...still do

even saying "i like guys" makes my stomach turn (ugh!)

Again Great blog...

cvn70 said...

isn't it amazing that we can all tell this story just change teh names, the dates and the places.

Crushes, unreturned love, depression and it only getrs better form there, yea i know and still living it in a way i have just learned to mask the feelings

take care and be safe

bob

Mirrorboy said...

James was a lucky boy to have you after him. ;)

Your story is one of a million buddy. We know what you're talking about.

btw you spelt 'Porcupine Tree' wrong in your labels. :)

love.

Rox said...

Growing up gay is never fun. x__x

naturgesetz said...

I was lucky. I didn't start crushing on guys until around the 8th grade, and I didn't realize that it was sexual. I thought I just wanted to be friends with them. That lasted until the end on 11th grade, when a chance remark from a friend (not about me) made the lightbulb go on over my head.

So I didn't have to be cautious to keep my secret until 12th grade.

But I understand what a source of tension it can be keeping one's true feelings hidden, while wanting to develop a relationship with the objects of one's affection.

Planetx_123 said...

I remember really liking a boy in 1st grade as well, but it didn't feel 'strange' or different in any way. In fourth grade though, I was very much aware that I had a crush on another boy. I thought he was very pretty to look at-- I really liked being around him, etc. I will never forget the first time I had 'butterflies in my stomach' was when I asked Zack over to play after school one day. I was such a girl-- nervous, sweaty palms, cornering him after school on his way down the hall. We became pretty good friends after that. He's still really hot to this day.

Its this more than anything other that sticks with me, because this was before I even knew anything about sex or sexuality, but I had the most unmistakable feeling of having a crush or being in 'love'.

Then after that I just continued crushing on other classmates almost constantly. Only later did I realize that these were feelings of homosexuality. And then I hated myself for about a year before I accepted it. I should probably blog about it at some point.

Much Love,

Steve

Anonymous said...

Love the great Blog; so much like my school days. But I only came out to myself when I was 17.
'Hugs'

Jay

Jordan said...

I was a late bloomer too. I didn't start crushing on guys until high school, and even then didn't realize the connection between me having crushes on guys and me being gay until i was in college. i didn't even think about the possibility that i could be gay for a long time (even when i was fantasizing about guys and checking them out all the time). It's funny how we play tricks like that on ourselves

I agree with you deadwing that homosexuality is not talked enough about by families or by schools. Sometimes i wonder how my life would have been different if I was properly educated about homosexuality. I think I may have realized that i was gay a lot sooner--it would have saved me a lot of time and given me the courage to actually live out my life as a gay guy. who knows how many bfs i could have had!

but seriously i think that parents do their kids a disservice by not teaching them about homosexuality; it can stunt our emotional and sexual development.

keep up the bloggin man

Jordo

Seth said...

I think you will find that your experience is "typical" for many guys growing up. It sucks because it seems like you are the only one in the world facing all your fears and confusion alone.

I've recommended it before, but I suggest "The Best Little Boy In The World" by John Reid (pseudonym for Andrew Tobias). Its an amazing story and very inspiring.

:)

Anonymous said...

I think cvn70's pretty much said it for me. I didn't have crushes or love for guys until I was about 13 or 14, but I can still sympathize on most counts.

The real sad thing is that you did not think you could reveal yourself to a counselor. I think counselors and teachers need to be more proactive about being aware of homosexuality instead of pretending it doesn't exist. It's too late for you and me, but it's not for all the upcoming generations.

Sethy said...

I had crushes on boys as far back as I can remember, and vene had a secret bf in high school. But after I left school I tried to 'fix' myself. Even married and had kids. I finally came out to everyone I knew when I was 37 lol....

Such is life.