Monday, March 30, 2009

I am so weak!

As i have mentioned before, i work an odd schedule. My work week starts on Thursday afternoon at 4:00 and runs through about 5:30 Monday morning. I work evenings, days and mids all in one week. No wonder i can't sleep. The point of my rambling is that i see the people i work with more than anyone else in my life. On the mid shifts, we run a skeleton crew of just two people per area, and a supervisor for all of us (days by comparison have about 15 people and 3 supes per area). So my mid partner and i have a lot of time to talk about random shit through the course of our mid shifts since work is usually pretty slow.

My mid partner, Jack, is a really good guy. He is a family man, has a really cool wife and three great kids. He is pretty open minded and accepting of others. He has told me that his wife actually wants their son to be gay! lol. I laughed when he told me this simply because it made me wish my family were so accepting of gays that they would actually want a gay child. He told me that he doesn't care either way, just as long as his son grows up happy. Wow. I was on the verge of crying when he said that (yes, i am a crier...if something really moves me, i tend to tear up and cry like a girl...lol). In any event, i had decided that Jack would be the next person i came out to.

Once our work tapered off, we settled into some of our usual conversation about anything and everything (no topic is really off limits). I finally got up the nerve to say to him "I need to tell you something really important and need you to keep very quiet about it". He gave me a questioning look and said "OK". Just as i was about to launch into my spiel, the supervisor comes round the corner with some information we had been looking for earlier. We talked to the supe for about five minutes, and when he left, Jack asks me what i wanted to tell him. I said, "Oh...never mind. I'll tell you later". At this point, i went to get something to drink and to kick myself in the ass for being such a weak minded chicken shit for not being able to tell him! Arrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! FFS. I just lost my nerve. Good god, if i keep this up i will spend the rest of my life alone.

In other news, not seeing Eric as much as i used to is having the opposite effect of what i had hoped. Instead of following the rules for "out of sight, out of mind", me not seeing Eric seems to be following "absence makes the heart grow fonder". In the two weeks since he's moved days off, i have only seen him once. But i have been thinking about him more than ever. It doesn't take much to bring him to the front of my mind. I am dreaming about him more too. I had a wonderful dream about him this morning. I don't remember much of it, but we end up kissing. When i wake up, i can still feel his perfect lips against mine. I feel almost euphoric until i fully awake and realize it was just a dream. At that point i want to crawl under a rock and die.

I have been sticking to my "exercise and diet" plan better than expected. I have been walking at least an hour a day for three of the last four days. I still drink soda, but have been drinking diet instead of regular. I have even been ordering my lattes from Starbucks "non-fat". They taste like shit. I guess its better than going cold turkey, but this lack of flavor is horrible. I have also been really keeping an eye on what i eat. Meaning, not much of anything i really like is being eaten. Ugh. I don't feel any better, or look any better, so who knows if this will actually do me any good. All i know is that i want a pizza and a Coke. Followed by a half-rack of non-lite beer. My taste buds are organizing a revolution. LOL.

I mentioned i had been trying some of those dating sites, and that only one person ever bothered to respond to my emails. Well, after his initial response, we began emailing back and forth daily, sometimes two or three times a day for almost a month. It seemed as if we had heaps in common, but enough differences to keep the conversations interesting. I had finally worked up the courage to ask him to dinner, and to my amazement he said yes. We never did work out a date, as he was busy for a while there, but he promised to make time soon. It has now been two weeks since i have heard anything from him. I have sent a few emails just to say hi and keep up appearances, but not one word back from him. Needless to say, i am feeling more than a little let down by this. WTF? Maybe i'm more fucked up than i had thought. I mean, out of all the emails i sent, i get one response, and now he's not talking anymore either. Fuck.

Well, enough of my ranting for now. BTW, if you have linked me or follow me and i haven't returned the courtesy, please comment or send me an email and i'll take care of it as soon as i can. I try to keep up with that, but i miss things on occasion. I bought a new camera a couple months ago. I have been playing with it, and have a few pics (no, not that sort of pic :p) i want to post here eventually, if i ever bother to figure out how. Bye for now.

13 comments:

Randy said...

DW,

Hey buddy, I'm here for ya. Coming out SUCKS soooooo bad. But you'll never be alone again...you'll always have a friend in me man.

Its awesome that you are keeping up with the diet. If you do it right, like the way I told you, results will be SLOW... But they will last...

In fact, you wont even notice that big of a difference... But when you see somebody u havent seen in a while and they are like "holy shit u lost weight" it'll all be worth it...

Keep ur chin up homie!

Mirrorboy said...

Coming out - Don't beat yourself up about that. I mean, do you think that after all those years in the closet, you can suddenly go into 'coming out mode' and spill to everyone?

Eric - There certainly are a lot of lame 'sayings' out there. "out of sight, out of mind"? "absence makes the heart grow fonder"? If you ask me, they sound good but mean shit. You just gotta do what you gotta do and sometimes that sucks. You'll survive. :)

Diet - I'm proud of you. ^_^

Immediate results really don't exist outside of infomercial land. Give it time and you'll start to feel better. It may be little things like not getting sore legs after a long walk, or finding it easier to get active. :)

Dating site guy - Well i just don't get that. It doesn't make sense. I happen to think you're a great catch. ;)

lovehugs.

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't worry about that guy eh? Who says you're fucked up? Why can't it be him eh?

Some advice on the food. Pick a day once a week, or maybe a couple times during the week where you allow yourself a little of what you like: one slice of pizza, one glass of beer, etc. Then you won't be tempted to binge on the bad stuff, and you'll be encouraged to stay on the diet as it normally is.

Mr. Urs said...

Working odd hours is probably the worst for a healthy life style, i.e. getting sufficient sleep, keep the body moving regularly and eating the right stuff. The body seems to like regularity. You're in a predicament there, but you seem to be on the right track.

I travel a lot over many time zones. This has similar effects, but the frequencies of change is not as bad as with your schedule. How does one manage to maintain a social life with those hours?

I'm not a big fan of diet products. I try to control the amount of food. I don't like to compromise on taste. I'm quite a snob in that respect. Life is just too short to eat bad food and drink bad wine.

Jordan said...

He sounds like a good guy to come out to... let us know how it goes if/when you come out to him.
i almost came out to a friend tonight as well, but i chickened out too. I think we need to give ourselves grace tho, i mean it's not an easy task... Lot's of people would/do have a really hard time coming out.

and i agree with james, don't worry about that guy.

I hope that the exercise goes well

warm regards

jordo

Anonymous said...

1. U R NOT ALONE in dieting!

2. I wonder if yr workmate told you 'bout maybe OK if his son wr gay, coz he thinks U might be. He must have been confident he'd get an OK react. from you . . ?

3. Huge goal to have someone 'closeby' U who knows yr gay. Easier to be more open then.

cvn70 said...

DW

One day at a time withhtis and they are not all going to be great ones, You are so far ahead of others do not give up your plans

having aneixty over telling someone after all these years is not an issue its just someething to overcome, and if i figure it out i will tell you

take care and be safe

bob

Anonymous said...

Hey dw,

Good on you for all the effort you're putting in. You WILL see results, and the more you stick to it the easier it will get in time.

Don't think of yourself as weak, think of yourself as getting stronger. Which you are. Reference your coming out to Adam, your dieting, your opening up to all of us here and your support for people here.

I hear you on the weird roster cycle. I work a ten day week - 6 days on, 4 days off, and I roll through day shift, evening shift and mid/night shift in those 6 days. It takes a toll on your body, mind and social life, and you've really got to take active measures to deal with that - your exercising and watching your diet are two great ones. I also find that planning regular social outings, and exercising with a friend helps me to keep in touch with people.

There are benefits to shift work though - those mid shifts (we call them night shifts) can be a heap of fun eh. Not many staff on, pretty quiet, and good for some fun and games if you've got good colleagues.

Jack sounds like a really great guy to work with, and a good choice to come out to. Don't beat yourself up, the time will come when it feels right again, and you'll be great. When you feel ready to do so, let us know how that goes. We're rooting for ya.

Oh and I LOVE a good cry. I also love a good man who knows how to cry. :)

Urgh. Internet dating sites are notorious for that sort of thing. I feel for you, that was a particularly bad bout of internet datingitis, and it must have hit hard. Get back on that horse when you're ready and keep putting yourself out there buddy.

Keep it up mate. Lots of love and support.
~kiwi

torchy! said...

ditto about tearing up i'm just the same

i used not to be able to function without my morning latte, but about 5 months ago when i realised i had to diet i stopped dead and switched to americano. took a few days to get used to it, but its saved me loads of fat!

good luck with everything
torchy!

naturgesetz said...

I agree with pretty much everybody else. A good diet will work slowly because it will be something that will be sustainable in the long term, not something you'll have to abandon when you reach your goal. And definitely have the occasional treat. A little bit of something once in a while won't ruin it. Also, keep looking for things that fit within the diet and taste good.

Who knows why the internet guy stopped talking? But it takes two to have a relationship and he seems to have gotten cold feet.

And Jack was as good as telling you, "If you're gay, I'm cool with it. So feel free to come out to me." Tell him when you can.

Col said...

Well everybody has really said it all. Just wanted you to know I am reading, but I'm a bit behind.

Well done on all the progress with your diet! And, it's nice to meet another crier. I well-up at the smallest things :)

Take care,
Col

Seth said...

You can wait until you feel right before you tell him (or anyone). Perhaps at a less busy time, where you can focus more on what you have to say?

Keep up with the good eating habits!! Don't think "diet" think "healthy eating" - don't deprive yourself of everything because then you only fail. Ask me for more tips LOL.

Ditto with the excercise kudos to you!! that's even more than I do each day - and very good for you.

Sorry to hear the dating thing did not work out, but that seems to be the norm for much of the gay world, especially online. :(

We'd all love to see your pics too!!

Deadwing said...

@Randy: Thanks man. I appreciate all the pointers. A double dose of thanks to your friendship. It means a lot to me my friend.

@Mirrorboy: *hugs* Thanks for the support buddy. It means the world to me. :)

@James: Good tip. Thanks! Maybe it is him...

@gomad.ch: Not much social life at all, which is a big part of my problem. Having days off in the middle of the week doesn't open may doors for going out and having a good time and meeting people (hopefully a cute, loving guy to take home and keep...lol). As for life being too short for bad food and wine, i agree 100%.

@Jordo: I'll be sure to let you know what happens. You are right, and M-boy said something similar: i can't expect to just be able to spill my guts after keeping it locked away for so long. So, cutting ourselves a little slack sounds fair to me. Thanks buddy.

@Micky: Yes indeed, i would love to be out to someone who i could talk to in person when needed.

@Bob: Thanks. One step at a time...

@Kiwi: Thanks heaps. Sounds like you know exactly where i'm coming from on the odd schedule. It doesn't sound too bad if they actually give you 4 days off to recover. Normally i have 2 days off, but i have been forced to work overtime the past couple of weeks reducing my days off to 1. It sucks. lol You are right about the benefits of shift work though. I am blessed with some really cool people to work with, and my partner on the night shift is super cool. We usually break out the old laptop and watch a movie or something (even though its against the rules...lol). Oh. fellow criers unite!! :p

@Torchy!: You are a better man than i. I couldn't go cold turkey on the lattes. Though as crap as the non-fat ones taste, i may switch to the americano soon. lol. Glad to know i'm not alone in being a crier too. :p

@Naturgesetz: I was thinking the same thing. Jack might well suspect i'm gay, and that was his way of telling me he's cool with it. I'm gonna try to tell him this week sometime. Thanks.

@Col: Thanks mate. It seems that there are quite a few of up who tear up easily here. Makes me feel better. :)

@Seth: Thanks for the tips, and pics have been posted. :P