Thursday, March 19, 2009

"Damn, we're in a tight spot..."

So, today begins another work week for me. I have really odd hours and days off. And i've just had the last week off, so going back to work will be even more unpleasant than usual. I like my job, but hate the hours i work. Anyway, that is all a bit off topic.

Work is really a really a bittersweet thing for me these days. Management are total pricks, who for the most part go out of their way to make our time spent at work as miserable and stressful as possible (we do have a few good supervisors though). On the bright side, i get a decent paycheck, i get to do something that i enjoy, and i get to see "Eric".

Eric has been working at my place of employment for about ten months now. At first, i didn't pay him much mind. Just one of many new faces that have been showing up in droves for the last couple of years. But about six months ago, something about him really grabbed my attention. I still have no idea what made me notice him every time he was around, but whatever it was sure did the trick.

I began to try to find out as much as i could about him without seeming to obvious. The last thing i wanted to do was draw attention to the fact i have a crush on a male co-worker. I find out his name, the area of town he lives in, what kind of car he drives, and that he lives with someone. But i can't find out who he lives with. Roommates? Family? Girlfriend? Boyfriend? And i can't find any clue as to his sexual orientation. This only serves to increase my curiosity and interest in him. And as time goes by, my crush on him intensifies.

One day, he sits down at my table during lunch because i was already sitting with a mutual friend. My heart rate increased. My palms got all sweaty. "Is it getting hot in here?" Just being near him and hearing his voice made me lock-up. I opened my mouth to say hello, and got nothing but a barely audible croak. I'm 32 ffs! I shouldn't be acting like this! I could feel my face flush as i get more and more flustered and embarrassed. Finally i give up, excuse myself and leave.

About a week later, same situation. Only this time it's worse. Eric and i reach for the same section of the new paper at the same time and our hands touch. Instantly i go into awkward, bumbling idiot mode, and when our eyes briefly meet i can again feel my face flush and turn the brightest shade of red you could possibly imagine. I'm pretty sure everyone in the room noticed this (but that could just be my imagination, but he certainly noticed). I again tried to speak, but to no avail. So, i excuse myself and leave. Again. Don't i feel the fool...

I finally get around to introducing myself to him and a few of the other new guys. We talked shop, and cars a little bit, and now knowing we have at least our jobs and a love of cars in common, i begin to feel a bit more at ease around him. But the more i learn about him, the more i like him. And not just his looks (although he is incredibly cute), but everything about him. His voice, his smile, his hair, his laugh, his personality, his sense of humor, his kind and quiet manner, and his eyes. My God, i could spend eternity looking into his eyes. He is constantly on my mind. He is in my dreams. I want only to be near him. Yeah, this is definitely more than just a crush. I think i'm falling in love with him.

Just a few minor problems. One, the obvious, i'm gay and neither Eric nor anyone else knows this (although after how i blushed and ran away from him when we first met, maybe he does suspect). Two, after getting to know him better, i find out he does in fact have a girlfriend. Three, i still have no idea if he's maybe bi-sexual or if he's straight, or even what his attitude is towards gays.

But none of this stops me from feeling what i do for him. I have never felt this way about anyone else, ever in my life. Sure, i've had crushes on guys before, and have worked and gone to school with guys i liked before. But nothing can even come close to the way i feel about Eric. The logical part of me says "Forget him, it's not gonna happen. Even if he is by some minor miracle bi-sexual, he's got a girlfriend, so just put him out of your mind and move on". But my heart tells logic to kindly be quiet, and logic listens.

I don't know how to forget him. It's impossible. We are in each others company all week long in some capacity or another. If i'm not in his physical presence, then i'm on the phone with him (work related calls, btw). And i don't know what's more frustrating; knowing that i need to forget him and put him out of my mind before i drive myself mad, or knowing that i can never tell him how deeply i feel about him and that he will never know just how profoundly he has effected me.

Time to at least attempt to get some sleep me thinks. I've been up all night and need to get up in just a few hours to go to work. Maybe the solution will come to me in a dream...

8 comments:

naturgesetz said...

I understand how you feel.

In my limited experience, it is possible to let the other guy become your friend. I think over time your passion will calm down somewhat. So if you can make yourself accept that it will be just friendship, you can have your interactions with him.

At this point you want more, and you may feel an impulse to tell him all about your feelings toward him. But it is wiser to accept each relationship for the possibilities that it actually has and not try to go beyond those limits. You don't want to drive him away by trying for too much.

JMO

Anonymous said...

I kick myself every time I start to respond to a post - I'm married - curious I guess - maybe more than that - not sure I will ever find out - just remember that time will open up the relationship on its own schedule - dont push too much too soon and you might be surprised where you end up

Randy said...

"i blushed and ran away from him when we first met"

Your so gayyyyyyy!!!!! :)

Ugh, what a position ur in!
I'm soooo interested at how this plays out...I dont have the balls to approach ANYONE, even if I know they're gay...

I honestly would like to have folks input on how to approach these situations...

@goleftatthefork,

Dude, I'm so headed to where u r. Married, with kids...and from everyone is telling me...miserable...i'm interested in the advice ppl here will have for u

Sethy said...

Haha.. I LOVE this post. Story of my life. Try this when you married haha.

Seriously though... enjoy how you are feeling, it don't come around many times in your life. Let it flow. In all probability, in the near future, as you discover his girlfriend, and his straightness, you will be lying in the foetus position in your bed with the light off and crying miserably. But... we as human beings, gay or not, are resilient folk. We do get over it, and it gives us something to dream about and smile about later in life. And the only certainty here is that this always seems to happen when we least expect it, and with the person we least expect. On St Paddy's day, there was this guy.... I can't get him out of my mind. I dream, fantasise.... but I also feel good that I still have the ability to crush like that. It's a good feeling :)

Anonymous said...

Str8 guys crush on chix too. This weird world makes it more convoluted for us queers.

We are not sick, evil, stupid, depraved, abnormal, perverted, demented, or yucky!

Just queer.

The "odds" are against us.

sighhhhhh....

anon who knows all too well...

Seth said...

I hate not being able to respond to these kind of posts and give advice because i have no personal experience in these sort of matters. but I guess I would have to say listen to the logical side.

Jordan said...

dude, I hate falling for straight guys, it sucks... Happens way too much.
Sometimes it even feels like they're into you too, and maybe they are. Perhaps their bi, but just haven't realized it? I've wondered that about my crushes too.
But I think I've decided that i don't have time to sit around and wait for someone who isn't ready to care for me in the way I'm ready to care for them. it isn't fair to me or them.
hope everything turns out well.
hang in there and much love
Jordo

Anonymous said...

Just reel that in, give it time. It'll cool down and go away once logic gets a handle and convinces the rest of your body nothing will happen. Psh, stupid straight boys...