Friday, April 17, 2009

Into The Unknown

So, tomorrow after work I am going for a hair cut. The guy who will be doing the cutting is the son of one of the people I met at the PFLAG meeting last month. I haven't actually spoken to him yet, as he was out when I set up my appointment. I hope I don't surprise him too much when I tell him how I was referred to him. On top of getting a great new hair style (got to make myself as marketable as possible), I am hoping that he will agree to us getting together to talk sometime. From what his mom was saying about him, it would seem that we could benefit from each others conversation. It would be awesome to have another person to talk to in real life, who I can be myself with. By some coincidence, the salon he works at is in the same mall as the shoe store where the cutie shoe guy works.

After getting some good advice from Steevo, and talking to him more about it on MSN, he has got me almost convinced that I should go and talk to cute shoe guy some more. I am already nervous just thinking about talking to him, let alone asking him out to dinner. Now, where did I place my extra-extra large balls? I am pretty shy with new people in real life, and even talking to guys I am interested in makes me nervous. What makes the situation even more sensitive and nerve wracking for me is not knowing if he is gay or not. I am terrible at reading people and picking up on subtle hints. He would all but need a neon sign on his head reading "I'm gay" for me to figure it out. Like I said, he seemed kind of fem, and was nice from what I could tell. But simply because he is slightly fem and works in a shoe store doesn't mean he's gay. I could mis-read some signal and convince myself he's gay simply because I want to believe it. Then, if I actually work up the courage to ask him out, there is the potential I could find myself in a really embarrassing situation real fast. Not only could it be embarrassing, but if he turns out to be straight and not so gay friendly, he would have my name and address (I usually have to order stuff since they don't have much in my size). I know, I am being paranoid and making excuses not to take action. But the possibility does exist.

Steevo said it best, I need to do something. I have heaps of reasons for sitting on my ass and not doing something to improve my life. It's time I came up with reasons to take action. If I never take a chance, I will die alone, and that scares me. But what is an acceptable risk? Granted, he's fem and works at a shoe store, so my odds of success go up a little. But he's in his early to mid 20's. He may just think I'm some creepy old dude. Or, he might be gay and into guys my age. Ugh...I could go round and round on this forever and never reach any sort of logical conclusion. I'm open to any advice you, my friends, may have to offer. I want to talk to him, but my inner chicken shit is telling me to run away. What am I gonna do?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

argh... a tough situation. I have no advice really, because I don't know enough about this area - never having been able to get over my chicken shit scaredness yet...

But, what I do know is that you're making AWESOME progress... just a month ago you were hesitant about telling us about your sexuality. Now you're considering approaching a guy you don't even know is gay, and striking up a conversation with a person linked to you through a PFLAG meeting. Wow! You move fast my friend.

Keep it up, you're a legend.
~kiwi

Rox said...

I told you what you should do. Life is short. DO IT!

The greatest thing you will ever learn is just to love and be loved in return!

<3

Steevo said...

dude... dont ask him to dinner unless he says something to indicate he is gay....or just say, hey u wanna get some coffee? whatz good here....

ask him what "look" is popular? Any good places to shop nearby.

2 str8 guys can have coffee... and if he is very helpful.... special order....


hey u have been so helpful; wanna get some pie n coffee?

just b u

Deadwing said...

@kiwi: thanks, mate! tho legend may be a bit much...lol. :D funny thing is, i don't feel like i'm making any real progress. i'm far from getting over my chicken shit scaredness...it pretty much has me by the balls.

@x!: thanks little bro. it's good advice...i wish i'd put it in my post. you should take your own advice, me thinks. :p otherwise, off to nyc? :D

@steevo: that's my problem...i am crap at picking up on signals from people...ugh...

Anonymous said...

My old Granny used to say
"Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

So there U R. Get yourself super awake and listen to wot he says when U talk to him (WHEN not if) and just aim to get him out of that shop and sitting across a table with U so's you can find out one way or the other.

So Ur aim is wot Steevie says - COFFEE and a bun, as we'd say here!

U don't even need to let him know UR a poofta before he drinks your coffee!

Just take all the gay thing out of it and get the guy out for half an hour at lunchtime, or someat.

Part two about gay or not comes later! Much easier & less scary that way!

cvn70 said...

deadwing

i wish i had advice, but steevo is right about one thing here if not all else, we have to do something if we expect change

like kiwi, i have not got to where you are and so i can offer you good luck

take care and be safe

bob

Randy said...

You dont need a reason to take action... JUST TAKE IT!

Your making progress homie, new shoes, new clothes, new hair...

you have nothing to lose. If it turns out bad only your pride will hurt... FUCK pride, rub some dirt on it, drink water, and drive on, you have to keep on that horse...

Dont expect failure, just prepare for it...

Gauss Jordan said...

Sounds like a fun weekend's in store for you. I know how you feel -- I came out to a random cross-section of work friends a couple of weeks ago... I ended the night in a gay bar with two of them around 1AM.

That initial leap's always fun, as you just don't know where it can lead, and for every possible bad resolution there's a good one.

Of course I have to give one of them shit, because he won't own up to buying a round of "girly drinks" (I swear that's what he asked the bartender for) at the most prominent gay bar in town, but that's another story. ;-)

Anonymous said...

:-/ I think it's all up to you. You might try talking to him in a way to see if you can figure out if he's gay first, idk...

But good news about meeting this guy at the salon. I've got my fingers crossed something works out where you two can talk.

Deadwing said...

@micky: yeah, seems like a good way to go. but in this day and age, it would seem odd for someone like me to invite the clerk at the shoe store out for coffee, or anything else for that matter, would it not? my guess is he would just assume i'm interested in him by asking him to coffee, gay or not. i mean, i have no idea what he is really like, so there is no common ground to stand on. all i know is that he is cute, and seems rather friendly.

@bob: thanks for the encouragement. :)

@randy: thanks man...failure has become all too common unfortunately.

@gauss jordan: sounds as tho you have a really cool group of friends. lol...girly drinks. :p

@james: thanks, buddy. :)