Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Out.

It's been a week now since i cam out to my dad. I am still trying to process exactly how i feel. I certainly feel relieved that he is so accepting of me and loves me just as he did before. Same goes for my little brother. He was actually happy for me that i am coming out. He told me he was near tears when i told him. My dad and brother are 100% in my corner, and both of them have said they will do anything they can to support me and help me out in any way they can. That feeling is indescribable. Knowing that they are there for me no matter what is just so amazing. Unconditional love. I also told my step-mother (who would have found out from my dad eventually) and my brothers fiance. Both of them are also completely and unconditionally accepting. In the process of meeting my brothers co-workers (many of whom are very cute, single gay guys) and my future sister in-law's co-workers i am now out to more people than ever. I'm out!

So far, all of the family i have told are accepting and have said that they just want me to be happy. The more i talked to my dad and brother, the more i am convinced my sister will say the same thing...that she only wants to see me happy. I am going to call my favorite aunt (on my dads side of the family) and tell her this week sometime, and my sister will soon follow. The plan is to have my closest family in the know and in my corner so my mom will be the only one not being supportive and accepting should she freak out. That will make her look like the fool for not accepting me for who i am regardless of her crazy little religious beliefs. But you know, the more i think about it and the more people who know i'm gay and still love me, the less i care about how my mom will react. She is my mom, and i will love her always. But if she can't love and accept me for who i am when who i am is out of my control and was determined before i was born, or shortly thereafter, well it really is her loss. The fact that my dad and brother still love me and care proves that it will be her loss.

So, it's really very liberating being out. But it carries with it an unexpected side effect. All the regret i've been carrying about opportunities missed and my wasted, pissed away youth have been amplified now by knowing that i could have come out when i was 15 and still been loved. Knowing that i could have been out and proud and living life and having fun when i was 15 and through my high school years instead of hiding in the closet and being alone is agonizing. Knowing that i didn't have to miss out on having boyfriends and meaningful, loving relationships and everything else i missed out on through my 20's really weighs on me heavily. Before, it was merely a suspicion that my youth was a waste. Now it is a cold, hard fact. That i have caused myself so much pain and grief is almost unforgivable.

As a result, my social development, as far as relationships and dating goes, is stunted at age 15. That is extremely hard to deal with when turning 33 is only days away. Like Gauss Jordan said in his comment on my "Out to my Dad" post, my gay age is 16 ffs. Now, i know i'm not the only guy in my position, but that is of little comfort. I am doing things and experiencing things i should have been doing when i was in 10th grade ffs! I mean, it's hard enough for me to meet new friends, and especially trying to find a partner. There simply isn't the time or opportunity for the social encounters that were available to me in high school. So, for me to date people who are at the same level of social development as me, i would need to date high school guys. Now there's a sure fire way to land myself a nice felony record and a trip to jail.

Now that i am out, i am able to more freely be myself. It felt really strange talking to my dad and brother about Eric and CPB, and about how i should go about trying to meet a partner. My brother and i and his fiance went to Milwaukee's pride fest when i was out visiting them. Here again, to be able to freely express an interest in guy guy who caught my eye was very different to say the least. To say to my brother, "hey...now he is my type" and to talk to my future sis-in-law about which guys we liked was pretty wild. All of the thoughts and emotions i have been keeping bottled up are now out in the open and being talked about with people i love and care about. But again, it has an after effect. Now that i'm out, i have no excuse for being alone, where as before i could use the "in the closet" excuse. I know, i am only just starting to come out. But remember, i have lived my entire life alone and have never been in a relationship before, so the pressure i am putting on myself to find someone is intense. I have a lot of unfulfilled dreams and desires on that front going back almost 20 years and i need to start making up for it before i get any older. In case you are wondering, the thought of turning 33 is depressing as hell.

So, once again i fail at trying to get anywhere with CPB. I went there again tonight, since it's my first night back home (i hate being back too, btw) and it was a monday night when i first met him. So stands to reason he should be there on a monday, right? Well, no. He wasn't there. Again. I'm starting to believe it just isn't meant to be. Maybe i should just admit defeat and cut my losses and move on and forget about my sweet CPB. But i think that will be about as impossible as trying to forget about Eric has been for me. The harder i try to forget about them, more i think about them. The more i think about them, the more i want to be with them. Problem is, neither of them wants to be with me (well, to be fair, idk if CPB does or not, and if Eric does, ffs, please speak up and say so!!).

So, there ya go. One long, boring as hell post to help you sleep better. As far as i've come, i still have a long way to go. The amount of work and uncertainty that lay ahead of me is daunting. Although i feel much better this week than i did last week, loneliness is still an oppressive and continuous part of my life. But, progress is progress. One small step at a time.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well dw... it's good to hear your voice again, and see that you have a somewhat balanced analysis of the situation.

Yes, you may have been able to come out 15 years ago, but what's in the past is in the past. Regret is a useless emotion - just learn from it and move on. Use your past timewasting as a motivator to get you to change the things in your life that you have to change in order to get the results you want to get.

You're doing so amazingly well. Being out to your family, starting to actually interact with them with you being yourself... these are huge steps.

What's next? Coming out to your mom? You're well on your way to doing that and you have a plan for it. Coming out at work? That shouldn't be too big a deal now that your family knows. What about working on some strategies to beat the depression too?

Thinking of you, and incredibly proud of what you've achieved in the last month my friend. I wish I could be there to share a celebratory scotch or 5 with you.

Anonymous said...

I am so fucking proud of you and what you've achieved!

If you were here I have you out for the best night of your life - AND we'd set off good style to find you a boyfriend to play with and get your relationship legs working!

Don't think for a moment that you're over the hill - Pete and I met each other in our mid forties and had no problem whatever!

You've got oceans of time to find someone - but the sooner you find a guy to be friends with - maybe be 'naughty' with and stuff - the quicker you're going to get used to gay company, going out as a couple etc.

Once you've that going for you, THEN you might think about finding a life-long partner, if that's what you want.

It's worked so far taking it one step at a time - just go on doing that. And keep the steps coming at the pace of a fast walk!

You're ACE!

Gauss Jordan said...

:-) Woo! So what *is* your type?

I do feel the same way about the past. I wish I'd done this years ago. I've said that in many many posts on my own blog. I regret that I didn't go to senior formal. I regret that I wasn't honest with my friends. I had a good high school and college experience, though.

And yep, I feel like I'm in the same boat. I saw a LOT of myself and my own life reflected in your post (e.g. I had the *same* moment talking about my type of guy when I was out with friends at a few different bars for "Splash Day" weekend).

I wonder if there's a set pattern that people go through?

Seems like there are 623,000 more people who feel the same way... some comfort in that.

Anonymous said...

I'm not even thinking about the last 20 years of my life right now... one step at a time, one foot in front of the other. In one of my favorite movies there is a line "Things are going to start happening to me NOW" - I think you just need to look ahead

(that's from The Jerk - never mind that a few seconds later some maniac is trying to shoot him with a sniper rifle...)

naturgesetz said...

Okay, if you had been out in high school you might have had some fun. You might also have some regrets about botched relationships, people you let get away, etc. Not many people manage to find their life partners in high school.

And 33 is not old.

So my advice is not to think you have wasted your life, much less that your best chances are behind you or that somehow the search is urgent or that you must make up for lost time.

Relax, take it easy, and let people come into your life. You have plenty of time.

And it's great that the people you're already out to are so supportive.

j said...

Hey buddy, I'm really proud of you and it takes a lot to step up like that. I really do enjoy reading your blog and I really hope if I ever do come out, it'll be just like that.

Like I said, I am really proud; have a beer for me next time you're out celebrating, haha.

Jonathan.

Mirrorboy said...

Psh. You silly man! You finally came out, to a family that loves you and accepts you. You've got friends who would do anything for you all over the world. You've got moneys, and you're getting out and being active... And you're focusing on the negatives!? *slaps* :)

much love

Planetx_123 said...

Well while I of course agree with mirrorboy and will say that you should focus on the positives...

I dont even follow my own advice! I always emphasize the negatives! But if there were a pill to make us always follow our own advice, then I would buy a case. :-)

None the less I am so happy for you!

Steve

cvn70 said...

DW

I am just so proud of you and wish continued strenght in ths process

i hope you find someone i really do but someone worthy of you also

take care and be safe

bob

Seth said...

Sorry I'm late commenting here.

*hands you the other paddle for the 33 boat*

Well, lets see. First off - DON'T PUSH YOURSELF SO HARD. Don't look at it as you wasted life - or else you just wind up miserable like me.

You've gotten a late start to things, but thats fate and life and there isn't anything you can do to make up for it. You've also got the chance now to finally do all those things you've wanted - but again, you don't need to accomplish them all tomorrow.

Gaah, I dunno if that even sounds right or not. Anyway, what I guess I mean is...

oh heck I don't know. I hope that you CAN find someone right away, and have wonderful experiences from now on.

Mr. Urs said...

I take my hat off to you. It is amazing what you have archived in the last three months. I'm proud of you.

Sethy said...

DW...

I really came out to myself proper at 37. You have taken all the right steps and there is hope for you yet. Trying too hard can be a problem sometimes. Ironically, a str8 friend of mine helped me get my first 'date'. Out of nowhere.

So just relax, enjoy who you are, love yourself first, and others will see it in you. It worked for me...

D. said...

hey congratulations on coming out to your dad and brother. good luck with coming out to your mom and sister. hopefully they will be just as supportive!