Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Now for the hard part...

In some areas of my life, I am extremely fortunate. Today, I came out to my brother. Although a bit shocked and surprised, he is behind me all the way. He actually congratulated me on coming out. My little brother and I were really close as kids, and we each have held secrets for each other for many years. I had expected him to be the most accepting of all my family from the beginning, and he has lived up to my expectations. He said he would be there for me mo matter what. His unconditional acceptance of me is just awesome.

My dad and I had a few private moments today and were able to discuss things a little. He said that it is still soaking in that i'm gay, but he is totally supportive and will always be there for me no matter what. I told him that I told my brother and that it went well (as my dad expected). I told my dad how grateful I am for him and my brother. He said there is no need to be grateful, that he and my brother loved me unconditionally. He added that unconditional meant just that. They would love me mo matter what. I asked my dad about how he thought some of my other relatives would react. In particular, how my fav aunt (my dads sis) would react. She knows my dad has been worried about me a lot and actually asked my dad if he thought I might be gay. Winner winner chicken dinner. So following that, he said she would be completely cool with it. In fact, he said most of the relatives on his side of the family would likely be cool. So, my aunt will likely be next to know.

Now that the easy part is out of the way (ha ha), on to the really hard part...telling my mom and sister. My sis is hard to read. After talking to my bro, I get the feeling my sis would be ok after a while. She appearantly has some gay friends, and so is ok with gays. It just might take her a while to adjust to thinking of me as gay. However, she tells my mom everything and so I can't tell my sis until I'm ready for my mom to find out. My mom will freak out on me. Of that I'm convinced. She may still love me, but will never support me and will insist that I'm sick and need treatment. This is getting kinda hard now.

The other difficulty will me in finding a boyfriend. My bro insists that I have heaps going for me and that I will find some one to love who will love me. So, when I get home, winning CPB's (cute pizza boy's) heart will become my priority. I will gladly accept any help anyone can offer in that arena. I have zero experience with flirting and talking to guys I like.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all the support you've given me and for your comments. Well, I'm exhausted and need sleep.

Laterz.

15 comments:

Mr. Urs said...

There must me loads of happiness hormones streaming through your body :)

Anonymous said...

"He said there is no need to be grateful, that he and my brother loved me unconditionally." :D

About Pizza Boy...yeah, I recommend not getting too hung up on any one guy like that. Idk, I just don't want you to get hurt. Maybe I'm being overly protective. :P

Planetx_123 said...

More great news-- Im so happy for you.

Regarding Pizza boy: I would try to find some events, meetings, whatever that are in the gay community. Certainly, you will meet some great friends, and since everyone is gay there is no gaydar necessary. Also, maybe some people you meet might be able to match you up with other guys based on mutual interests, personality, etc. I.e. markers of good long term relationships-- instead of just passing glances (regardless of how cute) and brief conversations-- i.e. Pizza Boy.

Realize of course that I only persue guys based on appearance, don't participate in gay community events (except the gay film fest), and generally am unpleasant and unapproachable... so obviously I don't even take my own advice! So don't listen to me...

Much love and *BIG HUGS*,
Steve

And I'm still good for going to vegas and just splitting a 'Rent Boy' too if neither of us can find a husband soon :-)

Mirrorboy said...

I'm so happy for you. And yeah, you DO have heaps going for you, you sexy beast you. :)

much love

cvn70 said...

DW

I am so happy things are working out for you and believe in what your brother says

You hae come so far now so just keep believing i what you told me in our last chat

take care and be safe

bob

Anonymous said...

good man. so proud of you. what a life changing trip eh?

we're all so pleased to be seeing the big kahunas again. keep it up friend :)

Anonymous said...

wow! your realy on a roll! thats great, ur bro being so cool and all!

hehe, winner winner chicken dinner!
:D

xxx

Gauss Jordan said...

Pretty cool!

@Planetx_123: Care to go in 3 ways on that? ;-)

My own personal strategy for finding a guy is to let my friends know, and hope someone sets me up. So far, that's sort of worked out... of course, once we've exhausted the "one gay guy" that everyone knows, I may get stuck, lol.

tracy said...

More love and hugs, i am sooo glad you dad reacted the way he did...and your brother too.
You are awesome and you w i l l find that special guy, i know it because you deserve that sooo much! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to say it again - you won't hang back from talking to your Mum and sister, will you? - I know you won't.

It's just that you can't have your Dad and your brother knowing and your brother in particular thinking it's nothing extraordinary, and leave it too long because it'll become an 'awful secret' if you do.

And it isn't!

It's just a bit, deep breath and do the last bit. Perhaps you could speak to your Dad's sister first so's she's another who knows. I always think the more who know the less easy it is for the difficult one(s) to find people who'll sympathise with them if they cut up a bit.

Divide and Rule! (almost).

Many congrats on having an excellent bro and now just make a list, shuffle it into some kind of order and start ticking off the rest of the family!

Jeremy said...

winner winner chicken dinner
hahahaha I am totally stealing that :D

Seriously, I am happy for you. I'm glad your father and brother took it so well.

Good luck telling your mum and sister

*hugs!*

Seth said...

Can't help you with the pizza boy-friend, since I lack those skills and experiences myself.

I'm proud of you with the coming out - and perhaps the rest of your family (dad, bro, sis even) can help you come out to Mom - rather than doing it alone? Being supportive of you when you sit down with her to tell her - maybe it will help.

But, at least you expect the worst, so you can be (somewhat) prepared for that, and realize that some people's minds can't be changed without a lot of work.

*hugs*

Doomed But Cheerful! said...

Happy for you.
Having your dad on your side now is wonderful. If he has accepted the news, then I am sure your mum will be fine. Anyway, mums always know!
G =]

Mr McCabbage said...

I and some friends have always found it hard to comprehend how gays could care about family who are their open enemies. We write off such family. It is they who need to be ashamed and change, and they can approach us once they did. We do form a close clan with those who accept us, to the death. We polarise, it works. If your mom gives trouble it is based on nothing but evil habits. Let her be the only one out, so she can improve. It is her choice. No need to be nasty but don't let it affect you much. Your old man divorced her, not so? Should the West seek approval from the Taliban?

As for pizza boy, print sufficient contact details on paper, so it won't fail. Tell him concisely and formally that you are gay and would much like to be at least a platonic friend of his, if he wishes. Thank him for gracing this earth, and leave. Act like his equal, very kindly, not less or more than him. The trick is to act like a TV news reader, totally calm. Emotion is great, but emotionality will trip you up. Guts together with prudence (at his job) will impress him. What may also help is to replace him (in your mind) with someone you speak to easily, for the duration of the chat. Then don't go back. While working he knows you are somewhere else - nobody wants to work in the pizza place. The pizza job may involve behaviour policies, to be nice or not by degrees, so you can't trust any reaction. If he accepts your envelope (or not), leave it at that. It gives him time - perhaps he has issues with being out, or whatever. Good practise for next time.

Unknown said...

Wow dude - I'm away from the interwebs for a day or two and i miss thw whole thing...

Congratualations on telling your dad and bro - couldn't have been easy I know, so well done.
I'm so glad they took it so well and are so supportive.

Remember when telling your mom that all of us here in blog land are behind you and support you 100% no matter what!

Graham

oh and ps. wishing you luck with CPB :-)