Monday, June 8, 2009

Out to my Dad

Well, after stressing myself out to the point of almost having a breakdown, I've done what I thought I could never do. I came out to my dad. What a relief to finally have that weight lifted from my shoulders. The feeling of finally being able to be myself around my dad is indescribable.

My dad and I spent the whole day together, and the opportunity to bring it up to him never presented itself. I was worried that I would have to delay telling him for a while and stress out about it even longer. So, after lunch, and stopping at a music shop to look at some guitars, I suggested we take a walk and work off our lunch. He said sure...that sounds good. So, we head out for our walk and just start chatting about random stuff. I was so nervous, I felt sick. At first I wasn't sure I could go through with it. Eventually though, I just brought it up. I asked my dad if he recalled our phone convo a few weeks ago, and he said yes. I asked if he wanted to hear the whole story, start to finish. Again, he said yes. I said that he may not like the way the story ends. He again said to me that there is nothing we couldn't overcome.

So, I told him that my depression has two main causes as far as I can tell, and that they are closely related two each other. I told him that one of the reasons I'm depressed is that I am so alone, and have been for a long time. I went into some detail about my loneliness. I finally just turned to him and said "dad, I'm gay". He acted a little surprised, but said the thought had crossed his mind. He said that it more than ok, that it changes nothing about how he feels about me, that he loved me. I told him a little about how I felt about the boy in my first grade class, and how I had no idea how to make sense of those feelings. I told him that I knew I was gay from the time I was in middle school. I told him how hard it's been carrying that secret for so long. He said he wishes I would have told him sooner. I only wish I had.

I am hanging out with my brother tomorrow, so I will probably tell him then. My dad seems to think my bro will take it well and be cool with it. I will let you know how it goes.

Now, if I could only find a boyfriend...

26 comments:

jay.osa said...

i am so happy for you. it only gets easer from now on.

Anonymous said...

*cries*

Wow. Wow WoW WOW!

Holy. Shit.

You fucken did it. You legend. Now get on and live that awesome life as a free gay man. :)

cvn70 said...

DW

Congrats man i am so happy for you and so proud of you. good luck with your bro.

take care and be safe

bob

Lightning Baltimore said...

Fan-fucking-tastic!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is making me cry. Your dad is the best man.

Mr. Urs said...

I'm so relieved. Brilliant news. Fortune favoured the brave.

Mirrorboy said...

Damn you Mr HCI you stole the words from my brain. :P

Anonymous said...

it's done - now one foot in front of the other and keeping moving in the same direction - good show

Planetx_123 said...

Congrats! I am SOO happy for you!!! Maybe one day I can have the courage to come out to my mom. Unfortunately, my dad won't ever have the opportunity to know the real Steve, and that is one of my biggest regrets. I am so happy that it went as well as it did!

Much Love,
Steve

Rox said...

That's great dead! BREATHE!! :D

Anonymous said...

Many congrats you old bugger! I never honestly thought you would!

I know it took a lot of courage and if I wore one, I'd take my hat off too you!

Welcome to the world of the liberated homosexual. You're now an OUT and increasingly proud gay man! Go on, say it out loud!

torchy! said...

absolutely fantastic news dw. i was so confident he'd take it well :)

w00t!
torchy!

Anonymous said...

brilliant news! can't write too much as i'm in the loo before my lecture. lol! but congratulations!!!

Gauss Jordan said...

Cheers! Seeing as you are roughly 16 in gay years, go celebrate!

Pretty cool news...

Seth said...

Excellent!!! Congratulations for you taking that huge first step. It must really be a great feeling to have that off your chest. The thoughts and depression might not clear up overnight, but it will certainly go a long way to releasing stress and emotions. I'm happy your dad was so supportive, and I hope your brother will be also. Don't feel you have to rush things still.

Now, as far as lonely... you can now PROUDLY join the ranks of the many other gay men in the same boat with total misery and lonely. LOL just kidding I hope you find someone wonderful to be with now that you can feel more free in your life.

:)

ps: fwiw, I am 58 "gay" years old now. *sigh* adult diapers and dribbling applesauce down my chin are right around the corner

Col said...

Brilliant news!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

Take care,
Col
*Hugs*

Highwayman said...

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Congrats!!!!

Now keep that chin up and know that LOVE will find you.

Jayson

Anonymous said...

thats awesome, well done! your dad sounds really cool and he must love you very much! good luck with your bro, im sure he'll take it as well as your dad did!

peace
xxxx

Sethy said...

~cries~

Much Love

Sethy

naturgesetz said...

I'm really glad it went so well. Congrats on having such a super dad.

Andrew said...

OMG! So proud of you!!! lots of hugs!!!!

Andrew

Anonymous said...

=) It wasn't that hard! lol. Your dad is awesome.

Good luck with your brother.

Anonymous said...

It is not what you are, it is who you are. You are great. Light is at the end of the tunnel. You are not alone. I have felt you pain for many years. Being gay, just means you left handed not right. There are less left handed people but that doesn't make us a bad person. One day i text the lot of them and told them and they all said they already knew. Anyone who really cares about you will love you no matter what you are. I am so proud of you. You are Not alone brother. Peace.

Freespirit

Jeremy said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you :)
I'm glad your father was cool about it, that is awesome.

*hugs!*

Steevo said...

I of course will not be a royal prick and say, "I told you so!"

Oh, no.... WTF? I did! Shit! and my backspace key is broken.

Roses or Scotch?

Love,

steevo in cali
.
.
.

tracy said...

Oh, Darkwing, love and hugs to you!!! i am sooo happy for you and you are so brave...i don't know what to say...just good for you!!