Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A step in the right direction.

Yay!!!! My first post using my new 17" MacBook Pro!!!! What a sexy machine. It'll take some getting used to (removing all the windows based brain-washing i've had shoved down my throat over the years), but already i love this machine. The only thing i upgraded was the hard drive. I went with the 7200 rpm drive over the standard 5400 rpm drive. I was thinking about upgrading the processor, but $300 for a 3.06Ghz processor over the standard 2.8Ghz one seemed a bit absurd.

Anyway, last friday i got a bit of good news. The insurance company has decided to total my car. That means i wont be getting my mushed up machine pieced back together and handed back to me. I get to go buy a new one, once the insurance pays out of course. I still won't recover all my losses, as all i get is fair market value, not replacement value. I have to eat sales taxes, cash down payments, etc. So, that sucks, but its better than getting a crap car back from the shop after its been "repaired".

So, like i said, i get to buy a new car now. As of this moment, a new S5 will take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to order. Most of the cars in the pipeline are already spoken for. Much less, they may not be optioned the way i want them or be the right color. Which leads me to... What color should i get? The one that got trashed was Brilliant Black. I like black cars, but was tossing around the idea of Phantom Black Pearl Effect. It's still black, but has color changing properties in different light conditions. Pretty cool. Or, maybe custom order a color. I have been thinking about maybe Daytona Grey Pearl, or Lava Grey Pearl. I'm really leaning towards Phantom Black Pearl. Maybe i'll do a poll, let you help me decide. :p

On to business once again... I meeting with a lawyer tomorrow to discuss options for recovering the losses that insurance won't cover. And to see what i can expect from the bodily injury/pain and suffering claim. My neck and lower back are a bit out of whack after the accident, and i've been to a doctor and chiropractor several times already now. Massage therapy seems to help a lot, and i slept better after that than i have in years.

I'll finish this post with a song that i have really been listening to a lot lately. "Gardens" by Heavens. Good stuff. The whole CD is pretty good, but this track is my fav by far. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I know what that color looks like. I think I'd want to see it in person. But hey, at least you got some better news back about it.

Mirrorboy said...

I bet i give better massages. :P

I'm glad you're getting more sleep! ^_^

<3

cvn70 said...

DW

See just talking to me about this helped. Imgoing to email you lol on wha a learned but im happy for you and that things are lookin better

take care and be safe

bob

Gauss Jordan said...

That certainly is a step in the right direction.

Good luck with the lawyer.

And I've always been a fan of an understated dark grey, personally. My car's "Diamond Graphite" and depending on the color of the light, looks like everything from a cool silver to a warm grey.

That's mine, by the way, taken on my new favorite road. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the Phantom Black Pearl - it's a really sexy color on a car .... there's also a Porsche color called Meteor Grey that is pretty incredible if you're thinking about special ordering

Jeremy said...

Ahh too bad I have to continue using Windows, I don't think Matlab software runs on a mac, and it's kind of important software for engineers.

I'm glad you like your new computer though :D

*hugs*

Gauss Jordan said...

@Jeremy: MATLAB runs swimmingly on Mac OS X. I think the latest version requires an intel mac, but that's pretty standard for most modern apps, post-PPC -> x86 transition.

Jason Carwin said...

Great post. Just found your blog (through mboy, of course). I really enjoy it. Good luck getting more money out of the insurance company.

Planetx_123 said...

Ugh... Apple. (I will remain silent).

That's awesome about the car, and I like the black and the silver as Gauss recommended. That's terrible about the chiropractor. I've never had a massage, but I'm sure it would be great... I need to realax!

Steve